Monday 25 May 2009

Road Trip!

Friday was an absolutely glorious day here on the prairies. Proof that even here, spring will come. It was a marvelous day for a road trip. Remember how I said there would be pictures? Sure there is, just not from my camera, which stayed home. But the Frazzled Knitter, who so kindly took me with her, has done a bang up job, photos and all, describing the trip. Just look at the blue sky. Marvelous.

Custom Woolen Mills was as expected yet it was entirely unexpected. The staff were so very friendly and willing to stop for a minute and chat with us about what they were doing. We got to the mill before lunch and were able to watch the equipment in progress. I don't know what I was more fascinated by, the sheet carder, the mule spinner, the washing process, or the machine that carded and then turned out the ropey roving most of us buy.

The sheet carder making great huge rolls of quilt batts for sleeping bags, custom quilting, and simply for sale, was particularly fascinating, rolling delicate layer after delicate layer of wool. I have no idea how I thought they did that, but whatever the picture in my mind was of how they did that, this wasn't it. It is simple common sense and really quite rhythmic, but I just never thought about it before. And now I know.

We watched socks being knit. The machines do cuff to heel to foot and a second heel, which of course, forms the toe. That open toe attaches with a bit of nylon spacer yarn, to the next sock, in a long stream of socks all knitted together. Once they are snipped apart and the toe sewn closed, the socks are ready for sale in the store.

We watched the quilting lady work on a custom order. Absolutely lovely work and a very interesting set up. Its an old long arm spring mounted set up, where the machine moves around and the pattern is attached to a guide on the ceiling. She can quilt 8 doubles or queens a day in your choice of fibres and covers. The majority of their quilts are meant to be used with a duvet cover for decoration, but they do complete custom quilting with covers you have sewn as well. I'm not sure about anybody else, but I could use one of these. Deep in the archives of unfinished stuff, I have a quilt top under construction and you know, custom finishing might be the way to go. Wool quilt batt? You bet.

The shop...sigh. I loved the shop. A warm homey atmosphere, filled with yarn, knitted things, felted things, sweet sheepy things galore. I love places like that. Stash enhancement ensued.

First, I managed to snare a copy of Knitting Ganseys by Beth Brown Reinsel from their well stocked book shelves. Then after taking a good look at the custom sweaters, and socks and ready to go baby things, I went over to the yarn side of the store.

There was some seriously fine Alpaca Wool blend that is going to make a wonderful shawl. I think something like Miralda's Shawl from Knitted Lace of Estonia, or a combination of old Shetland patterns. A black sweater is a must and my old standby is no longer with us and my lightweight black is wearing out, so I stocked up on 2 ply Mule Spun wool to make a warm black something. I added a little bright because there is just no way I could resist their wall of brilliant colours. It was the hardest thing to not get more of that gorgeous turquoise and just a bit of black, but I talked sense into myself and took black, but that little bit of blue is going to pop your eyes out.

And finally, after telling people about Custom Woolen Mills being the only place I know of to get a yarn for the traditional Cowichan style sweaters, I got some of that for a simple vest. Note how it is a heathered teal. I actually stood to decide between several shades of teal for way longer than it should have taken, but the warmth of the colours is quite simply mind boggling.

All the Custom Woolen Mills yarns have an artisanal quality about them. They are earthy and warm and good, and the entire place feels like the yarn, earthy and warm and good. If you want yarn milled using time honoured and environmentally friendly traditions, this is the place.

Next, off to the Vendor Market at the Spinners Weavers and Dyers conference. It was a breathtaking sight. The colours. The wool. The Alpaca. The bamboo. The spinning wheels. Oh my.


This was a really hard choice. I hit vendors from near and far, and came away with a little bit of everything. Some Alpaca and Silk from Alpaca Plus (the two large bags), some blended with sparkly bits Merino from Aurelia Wool and Weaving , some delicate baby camel (in the tiny bag up top) from Ceiligh Wool in Millet, Alberta, andSome delicately dyed merino from Homespun Haven from Armstrong BC. This last is going to make a heathered yarn, I think. If it turns out as well as I hope, I may need more of this wonderful soft blend of colours.

It was a really great day. I'd do it again in a heartbeat. There is the Olds fibre festival coming up at the end of June, and I'll be making sure I have time to get down there for a visit to their vendor market. Word is it is bigger and better than this one.

So much to see and do in one small day but it was wonderful. A day well traveled.

1 comment:

Sandra said...

so. very. jealous.
sounds like a great way to spend a day!