Thursday 21 May 2009

Considering Change

Where once I worried about not posting enough about the 'Things' part of this blogs title, I now am deeply concerned about how there seems to be more weather and less needles. I am considering changing the name of this blog to 'Whining with Weather' or something like that. Weather is taking over the blog.

If it were at least warm weather taking over the blog, I might accept it, if it were even normal temperatures I could accept it, but this is just ridiculous.


Here it is, into the last third of May and these are photos of trees in my yard, a smaller birch in the foreground and tall native poplars behind. If you are right in the City of Edmonton, the trees and shrubs are more properly dressed. The 3-4 degree difference of the city micro climate is enough to speed things up in town, but out here in the county, those tiny proto leaves that went scurrying back into the branches a while back, have made up their collective minds and just are not showing up till somebody turns up the heat.

These are the biggest leaves in the yard. sigh.
OK, this might be unfair. Spirea usually look scraggy and stick like at this time of year. Not that I am bitter.

Why do I care what the weather is like outside? I have a warm house. I am out of the wind. I have yarn, and needles. I should be good to go.

I am going outside to work on fleece 3 again today. I hoped to have fleece 4 ready for the hot water wash as well, but the late spring and slow growth has left this part of the world dry and brown, and easily burnable. The fire bans are still on, a wise move on the councils part.

So, it will be me, a fleece and a cold water wash.

When I come in, I'm going to think seriously about gathering together some nice wool, and knitting me some of Elizabeth Zimmermann's longies.

1 comment:

Karen said...

your scenery is stunning and I am totally opposite to you, I yearn for winter. It sounds like you had a fantastic day out too!