Thursday 11 September 2008

I should be knitting a sweater.

I really could use some more socks, but all I can think about is lace. I really really should be cleaning my house, all I can think about is lace. I should be knitting a sweater, the one for SS, but since I found that measly bit of mohair,sigh... all I can think about is lace.

So guess what I am going to do? Yes, I'm giving in to mad impulses, and am going to find a way to make a nice little lacy scarf out of about 350 m of gorgeous red mohair. It is going to have a knitted on border. I enjoyed doing that on the Truly Tashas shawl, I enjoyed miles of i-cord on the capelet so I figure, I'm game to do it again.

I'm seriously thinking of one of the designs from Victorian Lace Today by Jane Sowerby. (check out Grupmerina's blog for a really great post from when the book was first released) Its centre is a simple faggoting, and the border is a narrow, simple, toothy lace. The simplicity of the faggoting ought to be exactly right for the glorious red mohair's size (not super fine) and body. The simplicity of the border will match both the yarn and the faggoting. Its going to be a project where the yarn is going to be the show off, just in a simple quiet way.

Victorian Lace? Well remember that little hole I fell into...

1 comment:

Knitting Alchemist said...

Mohair...lace... Good on ya! Sounds gorgeous. And not enough mohair to push you over the edge...