Thursday 17 July 2008

Swift reversal

Yesterday I was talking about the store project with my boss, and she had a really great idea. Which I can't talk about till I work it up. But let me just say, this kind of thing is why she is the owner of a yarn store and I will always only be a needle person who loves yarn.

This whole retail experience has been so very interesting. Sure there are a lot of little mundane tasks, like dusting, and pricing, and restocking shelves, but over all the other jobs I have had recently, these simple mundane tasks are just lovely. It is so nice to go home at the end of the day and have a brain that feels almost whole. I'll admit, the first few weeks were a BIG learning curve, and sometimes I wondered if I could possibly get it all right. I still make stupid mistakes, but only a normal amount of stupid mistakes. Usually they are the sort of things that make me laugh at myself, and are quick to fix. Its a simple job, certainly in keeping with this weeks blog posts. I realized as I wrote this that there is a theme this week. I might have to worry about this. I'm not sure yet. Themes sound like advanced blogging and I don't know that I want to be advanced. I like simple things, right?

I really enjoy my time in the store. I knew I would but I'm a little surprised at what I find the most satisfying.

I'm starting to observe the knitters and crocheters who come into the store, as subgroups inside the bigger world of yarn.

People my age fall into two categories. There are people task oriented knitters and crocheters. They might have a daughter who is getting married and it has been a dream of theirs to knit or crochet her something for her birthday or their daughter is having their first or 5th grandchild and they just want to make something special for the baby from grandma, who loves them waaaaay before they are even a twinkle in their mothers and fathers eyes. (Grandmas are like that) They are generally knitting or crocheting to a specific task and they will keep on knitting to task and to project till people stop giving them babies to knit for and things to make.

Then there are people who are like me who cannot possibly explain. Yarn is a compulsion that has always been a quiet closely guarded little secret that lived inside their minds, and would only ever be referred to as 'I like knitting'. They have never met anyone whom they could talk to about how they feel about yarns and strings and needles, and may even be the tiniest little bit ashamed of how they feel about yarn. They were taught to knit by mothers and grandmothers, who saw knitting as work, and well, in polite 60's modern society, it was just a little hobby. Generally, a passion for 'hobby' was not encouraged. You could like your hobby, you could even really enjoy your hobby, but your hobby could not rule your life. It just wasn't done. There is a whole generation of women my age, who have been hiding this compulsion to touch and feel yarn, like some dirty little secret. These people are just waiting for the chance to talk with someone who understands, and who shares this little obsession. Its such a relief and you can see it on their faces when they realize that you are like that too.

Younger women are a slightly different kettle of fish. they are very open about their love of yarn. they are vibrant and interested, and see this compulsion about yarn as the way a life should be lived. It is refreshing, and delightful to be surrounded by such cheery warm sensible folk.

The other group of young women are the ones who feel isolated in their knitting and crochet now that they are out of college. They want to do it. They feel fulfilled by yarn things in a way aren't filled by other things. When the knitting classes are done and when their student days are past, they move forward to the rest of life. They quite suddenly find they have no one to work with. The social aspect of knitting is gone, and in some places, the resources to find new knitting companions are thin or non existent. They have no one, they are alone and feel bereft. None of their grandmas knit or they live far away. Their moms don't knit. Maybe an aunt does but they only see her a couple times a year. In the general business of getting on with life, knitting slips away.

The nicest thing about working in the store is when you find one of these people and help them satisfy their particular itch. It is a joy to be able to be part of their social aspect of knitting, to be the support they miss, or to be a compatriot in our love of yarns. Helping someone find something they didn't know they were looking for is a delight in my day. I love watching their faces light up when they feel just the right thing between their fingers. I love watching someone who isn't confident in their work, realize that yeah, they are too a knitter.

Working with the customers, filling their needs, and wants, and unknown desires with lovely yarns and solid knitting and crochet is quite simply the best part.

No comments: