Wednesday 30 July 2008

Dusting out the corners of my mind

and I can, now that I have a nifty new duster. The fibre of the 1824 cotton will work, just not as well or as fluffy as a wool or acrylic yarn. For a project from leftover yarns, this is fine.

Part of me is appalled that I have done this. I am not into knitting or crocheting the little towel toppers, and kitchen fripperies. I will make dishcloths only when my supply needs replacement. Part of me is thrilled to bits. Like a dishcloth, I'll make these when I need them because they work, and work well.

The original was worked flat, cuff first and then sewn up one side, this one was worked as a long narrow rectangle, with the sides being sewn and a cuff worked circularly after the rest was done. If I was doing this again, I would start with dpns and work circular for the entire thing, rather than just doing the cuff in the round. so there is any number of ways you could work it. I won't write up a pattern, because it really doesn't need a pattern, it needs more of a recipe. I might write up a recipe on the weekend, along with the Bride's bag, which is still awaiting a pattern.

All the other knitting I am doing is backwards knitting and not the kind of backwards knitting that moves a project forward. Or maybe it is, even if I am unknitting. If I am unknitting, and I know where I am going after the unknitting is done, I am in essence moving forward. It is just taking me twice as long to get there. If cutting corners is taking a shortcut, this is surely a longcut.

No comments: