Monday 2 June 2008

Knitting happens in chilly morning air.

A lot of knitting happens when I feel chilly. I don't feel horrendously chilly in winter when the furnace does a fine job of keeping me warm, but Summer is the season of the big chill.

By mid May, we turn the furnace off to conserve energy. Makes sense really both fiscally and environmentally, but 10 degrees in the house is still cold. I wear more layers now than I do most of the winter. These layers need to be peel-able at a moments notice so that when you step on the sunny back deck you can adjust the layers you wear instantly. The kitchen can be a trail of discarded clothing by the end of the day. Each time I go back down to the study, I layer up again. There have been times in the years that have gone by, when we sit outside till we are too hot, and then we come inside and sit here till we are too cold. Even though it is painfully cold, I'll try to remember those times, because they are the times where we console ourselves that at least we have some place cool we can go.

This entire weekend was chilly. Nice outside, but not quite sunny enough to warm up the house. So what happens when it is chilly? I knit. This is where I was Friday, just at the end of the first round of increases,
And here I am today, just near the end of the lace rounds. I think I have 3 pattern repeats left to go. Maybe 2. I'll see when I get just a little longer. The capelet has remained wonderfully light and airy and I have been thinking a lot about how to finish it off. I'm thinking of doing a nice hemmed bottom, and possibly doing a good sturdy i-cord edging for the front edges, with ties of I cord for closures. Or not. I'm waffling. There are so many choices. This is a perfect marriage of needles and yarn (Alpaca Peru and Addi Turbo Lace needles) and pattern (Wrap Style).

SS is home with her broken leg and is being cared for by son1, with his broken leg and vast experience. I'm going to see if I can con their feet into some photos for posterity. I expect they will both learn a lot. One side is going to learn better understanding of living with injury and the other is going to learn that yes, you can too do your own laundry if you have a broken leg.

2 comments:

Amy O'Neill Houck said...

Mmm... it looks great! I'm the same way with layers in the house and warm air outside right now. I have a very slouchy wrap that I always throw on in the basement studio because it's easy, but I never wear it out!

Knitting Alchemist said...

Looks lovely, and the two with the broken legs is just too funny!