Thursday 26 June 2008

Crochet thinking

I am a crocheter from way back, so far back that through the mists of time, I barely remember the first thing I crocheted. Truthfully it was a gold, cream and tan afghan of granny squares from a kit, and the second thing I crocheted was a green and cream afghan. These afghans launched 10,000 doilies, baby blankets, and afghans. All these years of crocheting have left me with the deeply held belief that crochet is a wonderful craft for its texture and its ability to morph into shapes and forms that are not easy to knit. All those years of a dearth of good crochet design have also left me with a slightly jaded view of crochet.

I have a friend, a long time knitter, even longer time quilter, who is just now discovering crochet. Because her mind works in mysterious designer ways, and considering her new found passion and inspiration in crochet, I expect some great things coming from her design studio very shortly. ThatLoganChick (her Ravelry handle) is seriously talented. It has been a pleasure watching someone discover those little tricks I forgot a hundred years ago, and surpass my knowledge and skill many times over. She inspires me, to look at crochet with new eyes.

There are a host of great designers who are keeping my eyes open to the new crochet. Annette Petavey and Amy O'Neill Houck are part of the wave of talented people making great wearables and accessories. Its not just for blankets any more and I for one am very glad.

Top that inspiration off with the Summer 08 Interweave Crochet. There is a fabulous rectangular shawl design, made with the lovely Helen's Lace from Lorna's Laces, the Ocean Pearls Cardigan, and the absolutely stunning Gladiolus Vest. This magazine, under the tutelage of Kim Werker, just keeps getting better and better.

And then there is the La Mer Scarf. The La Mer is worked in Tunisian crochet, another technique seeing a strong revival. This particular design stretches Tunisian crochet right out of the embroidered afghan panel hell to which it had been consigned for the last 30 or 40 years, and moves it right into the design limelight where it should be, standing tall, strong and clear with regular crochet and knitting.

Get the magazine, and take a close look at the scarf. It is wonderful. It might just be the very next thing I do.

4 comments:

Sandra said...

my crocket skills are limited to granny squares, some filet crochet and edgings for knitwear. I does everything I need it to do, but I can really appreciate some of the beautiful work people create with it

Logan said...

Thanks, Ms. Needles!

My approach to this whole crochet thing has been pretty much guided by your eyes and some of the comments you made to me when I first started expressing an interest ... You're a great mentor! And a pretty healthy enabler, too. ;-)

Karen said...

I love to crochet and started on patterns when I was about 16, many years ago!! Now I don't have time but I do have wool and hooks for the day I have nothing else to do, probably global warming will get us first though!

Amy O'Neill Houck said...

Thanks for the mention--it's so exciting to see what everyone is crocheting these days, and like you, I love the new focus on wearables.