Monday 30 June 2008

Brides's Memory Bag success

The Bride's bag was a success but there are no pictures of it.

I knitted the base of the project on the 5.5 hour drive. (Note to self: No more bead stringing while driving. Remember, you'd rather shoot yourself in the foot than do that again.) When I say knitted to the base, I mean that I knitted the 6 stockinette rows and set up for the lace stitch I choose. Then I applied the beads. The beading for this bag took hours. No knitting these on. The pearls had too small of a diameter hole for the yarn. The beads were sewn on to the bottom. Once that was done, the project was completely set up for knitting while in a crowded environment while visitng and sipping appropriate wedding type beverage.


The service was followed by a lull for photos. We retired to the Bride's mothers house for hors d'oeuvres and knitting was completed during this long lull. This was very unexpected. After dinner during the speeches I did all the finishing. The lights were low, so the quality of the finishing was not what I had hoped for, but the slipped stitches rolled into the bag and hid the worst of it.

The entire project took about 3 hours to knit and assemble. Had I knit it in the round, (which is how the next one is going to get done) it would have been less time. I'm also going to do a little something different for the beads next time too. Not sure what, but what I did this time won't be repeated.

Once the finishing was done, I was going to sign the card with the regular cash gift in it, when I realized that to keep the cash safe, I had glued the envelope shut with the card unsigned. Par for the course. I have done it before, so I calmly wrote on the outside, explaining the bag, and asking them to sign the card for me, to the tune of everyone else laughing at what I had done. (I am used to this)

As is the no picutres, We never remember the camera at weddings. 30 years, we have photos of two weddings, my brother and my sons, and darn few pictures of those weddings. Par for the course.

I'll post a wee bit of a recipe for the bag tomorrow, if anyone is interested in exactly how this bag was made, but for now, the coffee is on, and it is time for breakfast.

No comments: