Monday 7 April 2008

Finishing

Saturday was supposed to be the Edmonton Ravelers field trip. Morning brought a heavy snowfall that did not let up on this side of the city till well after 1:00 (the meeting time) and the shop is about 75 minutes away. I’d have arrived just when everyone else was heading away. I really hated to miss it, but it sounds like some of the ravelers are going to do it next Saturday instead. One of them will be me.


While I sat and waited to see what the weather would do I picked everything in my work project arsenal. Each sock was moved just a little farther down the heel. Once the weather had made my decision, I picked up my work bag. The work bag was crocheted in early February and all it was waiting for was the lining. It seemed like a good idea for something just a little different to work on.

Because I ended up sewing much of it by hand, I had the chance to watch Bette Davis crochet in the movie "The Letter" based on a Somerset Maugham play of the same name.

If you get the chance to see this classic film, pay close attention to crochet. Crochet plays a very big role in this movie and I think Ms. Davis must have at least known the basics. Even though a lot of screen time was given to her crocheting, there was only one scene where the work was not hidden by her hands, and she may have actually worked a stitch. The rest was close. It was just a little surreal to watch.

By the time the movie was done, the work bag was complete. The first lining attempt had the many pockets I was wanting, but it had a fatal design flaw (or is that designer flaw?). When that idea didn't work out and just as I started the second try at the lining, the sewing machine quit working (which led directly to the hand work). This second go at lining, since it ended up hand stitched, was much simpler in its execution. The straps were lined to give the stretchy crochet fabric some backup in the heavy lifting department. You can see just a hint of that above.There are two deep sections, one with a large booklet and document pocket, and a huge cavity for knitting projects and the other, a single large spacious pocket for purse things.

I may go back and put in a couple of smaller pockets on the purse side so things like my cell and my keys don't get lost among the jumble that usually is at the bottom of my purse. The plan was to crochet a pocket for them on the outside of the bag, but now I am not so sure. I'm going to use it for a couple days and see what feels right. I'm also going to have to come up with something to keep it dry when we camp.

Moving out of the old work bag was a little sad. It is still sitting by my chair because I just don't have the heart yet to toss it out. It looks forlorn. The handles are torn through and the corners on the bottom are in tatters. Its only good working part is the zipper and I want to get that out of her before I send her off on the long good bye.

Fare the well faithful little workbag.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

The Letter is one of my favorite movies - but I never noticed the crocheting! Is it in the original story too? If so, I don't remember...

I love the bag.

mostlylurking

Gina said...

Love the bag....The lining is perfect for it!

Anonymous said...

The bag looks great! GD