Thursday 13 March 2008

Another thing done

I've finished the Mission Falls 1824 Cotton Scarf at 6:54 a.m., and I have to leave for work at 7:00. That I finished it, got dressed and made it to work on time, should tell you how much I love this scarf. Its everything I hoped for even with the unexpected colour changes. I might still add a fringe. Karen over at Contemporary Embroidery is doing smocking for her next cloth (no, no, go past today's fresh crisp embroidery, down to Tuesday). I love the honeycomb patterning that smocking creates. When I was a small girl, children's dresses were often smocked on top. I can see that same patterning on the ends of this scarf, with the fringe tied alternating, 3 or 4 times to form that nice looking honeycomb. It would look so fine in the crisp crumples of this yarn.

Like 1824 Wool, the cotton is one puffy soft strand wrapped by one crisp tiny fine strand. That is what gives the 1824 wool its scrumptious soft feel and its crisp finish in a project. In the cotton, the two kinds of textures woven together make for a very interesting yarn. Its crisp and yet soft. Crumpled right where everything inside you want some crumpled. In this simple lace, it adds wonderful extra dimension that really makes this simple variation of garter lace pop to life.

Garter Lace stitch from Mildred Graves Ryan Encyclopedia of Stitchery. I don't know what I would do without this book in my library.

OK, Mission Falls, you got me. Confirmed for life. Its more money than I want to spend for a sweater project for myself (I'm a big woman so it would take a lot of skeins, but still I crave being wrapped in it). Your luscious products will be my go to wool and cotton for small special projects. Be gentle with me.

Check out the new Knitty feature, The Knitty Yarn Roundtable. First up, Mission Falls 1824 Tricolour wool. Those Knitty meisters! How did they know we needed this feature. Great idea, guys.

2 comments:

Gina said...

Just beautiful. So nice to see it done!

Sandra said...

Very, very nice - and I think the honeycomb fringe will be genius. I love that look - it makes the fringe seem more substantial.

I knit in the early am as well - before the boys wake up. It's just me, my coffee and the early news.