Monday 25 February 2008

I like weekends

I have developed a deep liking for weekends. Its an obsessive like, and it has probably fueled my current career goals which are to say home. Ah well, I'm near to counting hours now.

This weekend there was embroidery. I worked on the Dolly Mama (a Christmas gift) for a couple of hours. There was crochet. I ripped back a vest that wasn't working, and started to crochet another, which is also ripped back. That yarn really does not want to be crocheted even if it behave so well when I work it up. (I also know what I'm going to do with it. It may be silly... Oh I'll tell you about that tomorrow.) And there was knitting.

First things first. Tutti Fruitti socks. This was Friday evening. The first sock blank is much further along now.

Then some amazing news on the shawl front. Its probably amazing only to me, but well... I dedicated most of Friday evening to knitting on it, I knit on it on Saturday morning till Saturday about lunchtime, I thought surely it was time to measure it. It was 54 inches wide (unless my tape measure lies) which is right where I needed it to be so I began the lace edging. It took a couple of repeats to get it right, but its moving along quite nicely now. Its moving along 6 stitches at a time.

And then, I am pleased to finally show you the completed Noro scarf and wrist warmers for a friend.

Everyone should have a friend like this. Someone who takes you at what you assume is your darkest hour and has the smarts to smack some sense into you. She made me think about something else, and you know, of all the things good friends are, this surely has to be one of the most important. Everyone needs a friend who has the courage to make you move on when the time is right. That is why the Noro is so right for this person, and this project.

The photo doesn't quite show how green these green are. The khaki and olives fade to bland when up close they are such deep rich colours.
Maybe you can see some of it better here. I'm very pleased with the way this looks. It was a very good choice to make the project plain, to let the yarn speak. Again the scarf is garter edges, and stockinette middle worked on 7mm needles and the wristers are plain k2 p2 ribs worked on 4mm needles. For a first time working with Noro, I'm very very happy. Thank you River City for carrying it and making it accessible when I needed great yarns for an urgent thing.

Its easy to buy online. You can fill the need to buy yarn even if there is a hundred year blizzard blowing outside your door, or if its 40 below and you have the flu, but no way can you ever replace a good yarn store. The people, the skills the hands on talent, will never be replaced by the click of a mouse.

2 comments:

Sandra said...

Noro is always good for good friends. It seems to be my "go-to" yarn for things like this.

Karen said...

What a lucky friend you have! It looks gorgeous. I have a ball of Noro yarn, in the drawer, just to look at, I love it.