Tuesday 15 January 2008

Yarns and what to do with them.

On the weekend, I knit up a swatch of the Rowan Bamboo Tape , and this morning, just for fun, I crocheted a swatch (sorry I forgot to take a picture). Both worked up really, really well, but I think the knitting better displays how absolutely gorgeous this yarn is. Crochet somehow did not show off the softness as well. The many spaces between the crocheted yarns just could not match the knitted sample for touch and feel. Too bad you can't feel it. The search for patterns continues, but it has to be light and lacy in case I am short of yarn.

Mail, I have mail!! I have a parcel to pick up today that I hope will be filled with cotton yarns. I'm having a little trouble finding non wool sock yarn locally, but did finally order some from Simply Socks. I'm sure there is some round here, but in the rush before the holidays, I did not find any. Now I have to wonder what my rush was. Oh right, it was the need just to contemplate future yarn. Well I think I took care of that yesterday.

I took care of that with some of this yarn in banana, ordered yesterday. Yarn Harlot made her sunrise circle jacket out of this in a different colour, IIRC, so I know it is a fine yarn. I ordered 4 pounds. I also ordered some of this, 2 or 3 pounds in birch (I was a little lightheaded, I forget), and they have a fairly decent sale on this too.

This was NOT an impulse buy, I considered it long and hard. I considered what I would do with it, what if I didn't like the colour, what if if I didn't care for it's feel, what I would do if I hated everything about it (OK the last is simply NOT possible). I've also considered what I will do if I adore this yarn. I thought about that more than anything.

Along with considering those things, I did consider this. My poor work bag is starting to show its age. I have used it for 2 years, but since spring I've carried it every day. It can't take the pressure and the weight of all that I tote with me.
I mean really, I considered this bag my signature. It showed my goofy side, I loved its wide open middle. I loved that no matter how much was in it, I could still fit in more (I think that part comes from its roots as a beer bag).

Replacing it is a constant thought in my mind. I'm going to do one up from the book I received for Christmas, with the nice yarn the kids gave me, but I also think I'd like to felt a larger version, wider too. I have thought long and hard about what I want the lining sections to be.

On the knitting side, I want a place for my water bottle dpn case. I want a place for the bits of knitting, the tape measures, the little calculator, the scissors. I want a sectioned area for at least 3 different projects, one big project, and two sock sized things. I need an area for the book or pattern, and I need an area for at least one reference book or novel (hey I do read more than knitting and crochet books. Really I do).

A really sensible bag should be big enough to function as my purse too. I need a place for my wallet, for receipts, and my cell phone, and maybe my camera too. I'm feeling a little daunted by the idea of the lining sections, but I'm sure I'll figure it out.

To get to this next project, I'm going to have to bust my buns. I'd like the scarf out of the way first. Once that is done, I'll start bag version 1, and see what I come up with.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

The forest & brown scarf on yesterdays post looks good. I've been looking around on-line for yarn for an afghan. Picking something is the hardest part. GD