Wednesday 23 May 2007

Needle Time

As you might have guessed, I do a lot of work with needles. And strings. Alright, we'll call it yarn, and threads. Since my Auntie Lorraine taught me outline embroidery when I was 5 or 6, I have always had some kind of thread project going, or been learning something new. I have done many forms of embroideries - crewel, needlepoint, petit point, cross stitch, hardanger, blackwork. I have knitted, crocheted, tatted. Always, always there is the simple, sublime pleasure of taking a piece of string and making it be something more.

Other people play with numbers, or words, or lego, but I played with string and needles, and very often fabric.




This is the only picture I have of any of my needlework. These hand warmers are crocheted with a leftover of a Regia sock yarn from my own pattern. I used the top of a basic top down sock to start , the Jacquard patterns, from 'Crocheted Socks - 16 fun to Stitch Patterns' by Janet Rehfeldt, and Mary Jane Wood.

http://www.amazon.com/Crocheted-Socks-Fun-Stitch-Patterns/dp/1564774945

I worked a 6 double crochet cable up the back of the hands for fun, and when it came time to do the thumb space I worked a short chain to circumvent the stitches I needed for the thumb, and then worked to the length I wanted. I went back and crocheted an edging of single crochets around the thumb space, and voila, warm hands.


I work in a cold office, and my yellow study at home is chilly in spring and fall. These kept my fingers and joints warm and free to keep on working.

No comments: